Friday, April 29, 2011

Royal (Blue) Wedding




The only thing royal about our wedding was the accent color, royal blue. But it...was...awesome. I'm slowly easing back into social media, so I can't tell you the whole amazing story in this post, but I wanted to link up to a new blog I found today, Dial M for Minky Moo. She took the words right out of my mouth about the royal nuptials between Prince William and Kate Middleton today.

Initially, I was all, Will and Kate, whatev. Hasn't this thing happened yet? Then this morning when I turned on PBS for the girls and it was on, I found myself taken in. I thought for sure S would be upset that Curious George wasn't on, but when I explained it was a wedding for a prince and a princess, she wanted to watch them get married. I told her we had missed that part, but they were going to Buckingham Palace. They rode in carriages drawn by horses. She looked beautiful in her simple dress and veil. Their kiss on the balcony was sweet. I told S how William's mommy had gotten married to his daddy when I was just a couple of years older than her, and I still remembered it. I left out how I also still remember exactly where I was when I found out she'd died.

I was never a big follower of the royal family. Occasionally stories caught my eye. But the Cinderella story of Charles and Diana was enamoring, even for a tomboy like me. I wasn't ready for a new princess to take the limelight. But Will and Kate's story is strong in its own way. They've known each other for 10 years, dated for 8. Reminds me of DH and me. I feel like they have a chance of making this last. I wish them all the best.

I started this post with a couple of pics of them. But in honor of linking with Minky, here is one of me and my beloved on our special day, six years ago:



And though our church was certainly not Westminster Abbey, it was breathtaking, nonetheless. I certainly felt like a princess myself that day. (Photos courtesy of R Peters Photography.)

Real Time Analytics