Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Worst First Day of Spring Ever

Things started looking bleak the week before. S got a virus on Monday. By Friday when I took R in for her 4 month checkup, I wanted the dr. to look at her as well. She had an ear infection so we left with a clean bill of health for R and a prescription for S. We were literally just out of the parking lot when I heard a congested rattle emitting from R. SERIOUSLY? By that night I was feeling badly, too. That weekend, poor S was coughing so hard she threw up. It was the first time that had happened to her, and it kind of freaked her out. By Monday I was sure I had a sinus infection, so went to the dr. and while there, had him check out R. She was definitely sick, but I didn't want to take her back to the ped. already since we had just been there unless there was anything that could be done for her. Luckily my doc was willing to check her out a little bit. Her lungs sounded good and her ears were clear, so I went home with a prescription for me and more advice to run a humidifier and have R sleep in her bouncy or car seat to help her congestion.

Wednesday was St. Patrick's Day. S had colored a shamrock at the sitter's the week before so I told her that was for this day, and another thing we do is where green. "I want to wear pink." I told her, of course, she could wear pink. But maybe she could wear something that has green on it, too, or maybe a green hair tie (as if she'd let me put her hair in a ponytail). "I want to wear pink." I know, sweetheart, but I bet when Daddy comes home he won't have green on and then you get to pinch him. He can pinch you back if you don't have green on either. You want to be able to get Daddy, don't you? "I want to wear pink." Moving on...

That night, I was worried about R's cough. It was sounding tighter and I wasn't sure if I was imagining her breathing to be more shallow or if it really was. I decided to take her in to the ped. the following morning to see if her virus had turned into RSV. It had. I kept it together surprisingly well for me, considering I thought that was a one-way ticket to the hospital. Luckily, her oxygen level was ok, so they just wanted us to keep a close eye on her and bring her back in the next day to follow up.

Thursday was the first round of the NCAA bball tourney. Since I'd missed a lot of work being out sick myself and staying home with the sick kiddos, I came in to work that night. I was listening to the KU game - they were down 12-4 within a few minutes. What?!?! I had horrible flashbacks to our rehearsal dinner after which we'd turned on the game and seen them lose in the first round to Butler. Luckily, they managed to pull it off.

Friday was our 5 year anniversary. My wonderful hubby did a load of laundry, made dinner, did the dishes, cleaned the kitchen AND bought me a beautiful flower arrangement. We had arranged for his parents to watch the girls Saturday night so we could go to dinner.

Saturday was the first day of spring. We got something like 4" of snow. Ugh! I'm so sick of winter! And being sick! R seemed to be doing about the same, so I decided to continue with our plan of having family photos taken on Sunday. That meant it was haircut time for S. Off we went and she did a wonderful job. The stylist actually was able to put a little braid in her hair, too. And she left it in until the next morning! I couldn't believe it. That day was also the first day (of many to come, I'm sure) that she started asking the repetitive "Why?" I have always planned to be as patient as I could when that day came, and to answer the question as far out as I could and the offer to look up the answer if I couldn't. But I failed to realize before I had children, that there is no logic to the repetition. It wasn't that we got to a point where there was no answer, it was that she kept asking the same question over and over again.

That night KU played in the second round. I was getting ready for us to go to dinner during half time while DH's parents were on their way over. I was feeding S some random things for her meal - a pickle, watermelon, string cheese and oj. She asked me to cut her string cheese (I know, weird) which I usually do, but I got distracted and forgot. She turned to me and said, "Gosh, Mom, you didn't cut up my cheese yet!" Oh brother. We ended up staying home and watching the rest of the game before we left. But it was futile - KU lost to Northern Iowa (really?). Now not only was my bracket shot, my whole reason for watching was gone. Sigh....

But we headed out to dinner and ended up going to Cheddar's, a relatively new place by the mall. It was pretty good, and very reasonably priced. So at least the first day of spring had a nice ending.

Today I went to lunch with my older sister, and we were in the bathroom and she pushed the soap and it squirted past her hand...right into my purse. Then she couldn't get the water faucet to turn off. It was like we were on a bathroom version of Candid Camera.


No comments:

Real Time Analytics