Thursday, November 12, 2009

Baby??

Well, 11/10/09 came and went...without a baby being born in our home. Our DD and I both got sick over the weekend, so Monday I called my OB and they told me they wanted to delay the C-section...until next Monday. A whole week. Oy. The thing is, it really shouldn't have mattered. Most people don't know when their child will come into the world. I think that's how it should be. But when you have an induction or C-section scheduled, and you let yourself get really attached to that schedule, it really messes you up when it doesn't go as planned.

First, area of frustration - out-of-town visitors. My sister-in-law is flying in from California tonight, and leaving Monday evening. So she will only get to spend a couple of hours with her new niece. My sister and brother-in-law are coming in from St. Louis from Saturday til Tuesday, so luckily, they'll have a whole day before they have to leave. But it sort of throws a kink in their plans.

Second, work. I spent a lot of time prepping to be gone (as did my husband), and now we're back for a few more days. It seems like it shouldn't be a big deal, but when you've already passed off the work load to someone else to handle, and then you're there for another week, it's either dumped back in your lap, to be updated and re-prepped for the new time frame you'll be gone, or they keep it, and you have to find random things to do to fill the day. In my case it's a little bit of both.

Third, childcare arrangements. We had everything planned as far as what to do with our DD. She was going to spend the night at Papa and Grandma's, then in the morning after the baby was born, my DH would pick her up and they would all come up to the hospital. Since she just has a cold, her symptoms won't have completely cleared up by Monday, so she probably will have to stay home. So that means we'll have to have someone watching her who also doesn't get to go to the hospital.

Fourth, the pregnancy itself. As we approached the big day, my anxiety about dreading the procedure had increased. And now it's just hanging on even longer. The time changed so instead of being at 7am, it's at noon. At first I was excited - now I don't have to be there til 10am instead of 5am. Yea! One last night of good sleep! But then they told me that I still couldn't eat after midnight. Um, hello! I'm 9 months pregnant! I can't go 12 hours without eating. I figure, 7 hours fasting was long enough for the earlier time, so if that means I have to get up at 5am and have a snack, so be it. But there goes the good night's sleep. Plus I now have one more week of increasing discomfort. With my first, the baby never dropped, so the day I went to the hospital to be induced (and ended up going into labor on my own), I was easily going up and down stairs all day at the weenie dog races. This time, the baby dropped. Now I understand why women get to the end and just want to be done. If she had done this more than a week before she's to be born, I can see how I would be very cranky! If she's not on my bladder, she's pressing against what I can only imagine is scar tissue, which hurts so much that I'm only able to shuffle along like an old man. Or, Quasimodo according to my boss. Plus, I don't think I can get any bigger. My veins on my belly are starting to pop out a bit and bruise. Gross. Not to mention that my clothes really aren't fitting now. It's hard to find anything to wear, much less be somewhat comfortable in. I spend all my time pulling my pants up and my shirts down and trying to look a little put together to be in the office.

That said, I know she will be worth the wait! Today is my due date, and I haven't gone into labor on my own yet, which just goes to show that God's timing is best. Clearly she needed to stay in the womb a little longer. And it's a good reminder that having a newborn throws all scheduling out the window. Funny how quickly we can forget that.

No comments:

Real Time Analytics