Saturday, July 6, 2013

Pregnancy: Not for the Faint of Heart

Historically speaking with my previous pregnancies, when the time came for the 1-hour glucose test, I failed and had to do the 3-hour test. With S, I had no idea what I was getting into aside from the need to  have my blood taken FOUR TIMES in 3 hours. And we all know how much I love needles. What I wasn't prepared for was fasting and then only have glucola to drink for another three hours before they sucked several pints of blood out of me and I felt hot and sweaty and nauseated.

With Baby R, I knew what to expect, so I tried, half-heartedly, to "eat better" for a few days before the 1-hour test. Didn't matter.

This time around, I was determined to pass that dang 1-hour test. A couple of weeks beforehand, I basically put myself on a diabetic diet, reducing my carb intake, making sure those I was eating were complex instead of simple, avoiding sweets entirely.

The day of the test came. And then the results.

I failed.

The 3-hour test was only a week away, so I continued my diet. In the back of my mind I was worried because Cinco is already measuring big, and I knew one of the reasons could be gestational diabetes. So I needed to be more careful about what I was eating anyway.

Armed with Tina Fey's "Bossypants" to entertain me for the long morning, last Friday I went into the lab expecting the worst. I had already told my boss that even though the test would be over by lunch time, I'd need the whole day off so I could go home afterwards to eat and then nap for a few hours til I felt human again.

My nurse was a sweet gal who hit the vein the first time every time with no incident (hallelujah!). Tina kept me in a good mood, and except for right after chugging the fruit punch-flavored sugar water, I didn't feel badly at all. When it was all said and done, I grabbed a semi-healthy lunch on the go, ran a few errands and picked the girls up early from daycare, amazed I felt up to any of it. I thought to myself, "If only I had taken this approach the first two times, maybe it would have gone this smoothly!" I felt pretty confident that I would get a clear report if I felt so great.

You can guess where I'm going with this, but to keep this post from being overly lengthy, and finally getting posted, I shall close for now.
Real Time Analytics