Saturday, March 14, 2020

Pre-Apocalypse?

I imagine there are many out there who've fallen away from blogging who will be back at it in the days to come. Life is surreal right now for most of the world. COVID-19 is the word of the day. It's a coronavirus like SARS, but a different strain. Only this one made its way to the US. At the moment, the death rate is roughly the same as the regular flu (2.5%). And, like the regular flu, is more dangerous for the elderly or those with compromised immune systems. Unlike the regular flu, so far it doesn't have as dangerous implications for children. Which is good. The tricky thing is that this strain is contagious before you have symptoms. Which has led to worldwide panic.

In preparation for shutting everything down, people have bought all the toilet paper. No one really knows why, but it's made for great memes.
Photo credit

I don't want to make light of this virus. But I'm much more afraid of how this will impact our economy. My husband and I have both been told to work from home - him for 3 weeks, me indefinitely. Our kids' school district is on spring break this coming week, but will probably shut down the week after. We have the luxury of working from home, and using some PTO if necessary. Not everyone is in the same situation.

Anyway, we'll see how it all goes. On the up side, hopefully I'll be better about making time to blog, Lots has happened since my last post. Wash your hands, don't touch your face, and stop hoarding TP.
Real Time Analytics