Wednesday, August 25, 2021

My Babies

As we walked to school, R stomped ahead of me on the sidewalk, frustrated with sixth-grade drama, clothes that don’t fit right after another pubescent growth spurt and pretty much everything about the world in that moment. I tried to be positive and set her on course for a good day. “Let’s list three things you’re grateful for.” 

“Ugh! Just forget it! I’m not grateful for anything! You don’t understand!” 

My mama heart was hurting for all she’s going through and the sting from her biting remarks. V slid his little hand inside mine and whispered, “Love you.” Sweet boy. I told him thanks and that I loved him, too.  We chatted as we walked along and then when we got within a block of school, he took his hand out of mine. I saw the group of kids at the corner. He looked at me, a little chagrined. I smiled at him. “I get it, Buddy. Thanks for holding my hand this far. I feel better.” He smiled more confidently and headed toward them. 

By the time school got out, R was her cheerful self again. Tween life is hard; I remember how much I hated it. And navigating it with separated parents just adds another degree of complexity for my already sensitive girl. 

They’re both growing up so fast. (As is S.) Just makes me even more grateful for those sweet moments. 

Real Time Analytics