Sunday, May 17, 2009

Busy weekend

My old roommate was in town for a few days visiting from Mexico where he is in the Peace Corps. There was a BBQ Thursday night, but DH had softball and with S not having slept well this week, we didn't make it by. So Friday night, DH let me escape to meet my roommate and a few others out at Raoul's. I was wearing an oxford, cute jeans and dress shoes, so clearly not in attire to pick up guys, but nice enough to be on the low end of the expected dress code for this kind of preppy bar. I got there around 9pm and found out another friend's big news - he's engaged! Quite a shock, but exciting. He's moving to DC in June as that's where she lives. It was fun being out with my two old roomies and I met another girl who I really hit it off with and had fun chatting.

After awhile, they decided to go downtown to the Czar Bar. Most of us had never been there. It's quite the opposite of Raoul's. I think 90% of the people in there had tattoos, and a couple were wearing leather jackets. It wasn't a biker bar, but it was very dark, and there was a DJ playing techno, and a girl sitting on a "swing" that was made from fabric that hung from the ceiling, and she did Cirque de Soleil type moves in fishnets and a leather leotard. A little more hard-core crowd than Johnson County. And now I was clearly too conservatively dressed. Not that that has ever bothered me, I just thought it was funny that we couldn't have picked two more opposite bars to go to in a night.

Anyway, the girl I'd befriended rode with me downtown, and I locked my purse in the car so I wouldn't have to carry it around with me, and she asked me how I could not need it. I told her, I have my ID in my pocket, I don't need money since I can't drink, and I don't need to touch up my makeup (which, along with my ponytail, is low maintenance) because I'm married and pregnant and not looking to get hit on. Ironically, about five minutes after we entered the bar, she and I went to order drinks, and this very young guy asked me my name, and introduced me to his friends. It was his birthday, and he was clearly drunk. He started asking me what kind of music I liked, etc. I was nice to him, then said goodbye, and she and I made our way back to our group. She said, "See - that's the whole point of going out when you're married, so you can get hit on." It was pretty funny. So I didn't get home until midnight which for me, might as well be like staying up all night at this stage in my life. As it turned out, I pretty much did since DD woke up at 4am and didn't go back to sleep until 5:30am. And I ended up having to stay with her to get her to even do that. Which means I didn't really sleep since she's a tosser and turner.

Saturday DH helped a friend put together his daughter's swingset for her bday party next weekend, so S and I met his wife and kids at the mall to play for awhile. S and I needed to be home at noon because Nebraska Furniture Mart was to deliver new slats for her bed between then and 2, and of course they were there a few minutes before us. Back story on the bed - S I'd mentioned, when it was first delivered, we noticed that there was about a big gap between the edge of the mattress and the edge of the rails on either side. That meant that all the weight was being supported by three slats. That didn't seem very smart, so we asked the delivery guys about it. They said that sometimes that's just how they are. We decided we'd just get a couple more slats and it should be fine. Well, one of the original slats had a crack in it, so we called them to replace it, figuring we'd get extras after that so it was in its original condition when they came to fix it. So the replacements were to be delivered Saturday. Knowing this, we had started having S sleep in her bed about a week before figuring it would be fine for a few days. When the delivery guys brought the new slats to her room, they discovered that the box was labeled for a full size bed which is what we need, but it actually held ones that are for a twin. So they rescheduled the delivery for Monday.

After they left, DH got home, and we all took a nap, and then DH and I went to the Royals game. It was our first trip to the K since the renovations. It's really nice! They opened it up so it's a 360 degree concourse now. Behind where the fountains were there's a kids area and a hall of fame and a party deck. There are still fountains, but just not as many. We left at the bottom of the 8th (it was chilly and we weren't prepared) when they were down by one, which ended up being the final score. We had high hopes as they were tied for first in the league, but the last week it looks like they are back to their old selves. We'll see, though.

This morning, S woke up at 6:15am. Argh... I gave her some yogurt and thought I could get her to go back to sleep, but she was wanting DH and me to stay with her. So we all laid down in her bed and around 7am when she still wasn't asleep, I decided to give up and get up. When I stepped out of the bed, the cracked slat gave way, and it collapsed in that corner and landed on my ankle. I was in pain and panicking that she was going to get hurt and worried about DH, and it was just chaos. My Achilles tendon is bruised and swollen and there's a scrape down the backside of my ankle. So I iced it and bandaged it, and was able to hobble around to two houses this afternoon that the realtor was able to set up appointments for. One would be a great one to flip, but since that's not DH's thing, I'll have to let someone else have it.

No comments:

Real Time Analytics