Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Parent Update


So my parents' well-being continues to decline. I had hoped to get them moved this summer, but that didn't happen. I did go to several retirement communities, but ultimately, it comes down to finances. They just can't afford what they need. Dad was let go from his last job because he couldn't pass his physical (failed the eye test and has heart problems), so I'm looking into getting him disability, but I think that takes away from his social security. Not sure.

Mom's dementia is much worse. She has good days, but in general, it's looking pretty grim. She needs more care and attention than living with Dad. I started Medicaid paperwork, but after doing more research, discovered it usually only covers skilled nursing care, not memory care or assisted living.

Monday Dad had to go to the hospital to have his heart shocked back into rhythm. He's been in A-fib for a couple of weeks again, according to his Pacemaker. I wasn't able to go with him and Mom because Monday was S's first day of school. I needed to drop her off at the same time as his check-in, and pick her up over my lunch since they had early dismissal, and I had my own doctor appointment that afternoon. (I'm seriously so blessed to have such a flexible boss.)

Luckily, my older sis, D, was able to go with them. Dad called that afternoon to let me know all went well, and said D was annoyed with him. When I asked him why, he said because he mentioned something about driving. She said, "Dad, you're not supposed to drive today." He said he felt the same this afternoon as he did this morning. I told him that if the doctor told him not to drive, he shouldn't drive, and asked him where he needed to go. He said he was going to go to the store to get cookies. Oh, for the love. Yes, Dad, that makes perfect sense. You have heart problems, vision problems and are diabetic. Please drive to the store to get cookies. Sigh.

Hope to have more progress to report next time...

Real Time Analytics