Friday, September 20, 2013


Saturday morning, DH planned to work on the yard. He left around 8:15am to pick up some supplies from a sod farm/nursery while the girls and I were eating breakfast. At 8:30am, I went to the bathroom and my water broke. Still just a trickle, so nothing crazy, but for real this time. I called DH's cell phone, and it went straight to voicemail. I left him a message and texted him to let him know I was going to take a shower and would be ready to go when he got home. I called my parents and asked them to come watch the girls for a bit. Then I let the girls know we were having a baby that day and I was going to take a shower and asked S to answer my phone if Daddy called.

I got out of the shower and he hadn't called back. So I called again. And then I called my OB and he said he'd meet us at the hospital. I wasn't having any contractions, so I wasn't too worried about time, but I also knew that they didn't want to mess around with it being my 3rd c-section and the chances of rupturing being so high with spontaneous labor. I called DH again. And texted again. I had packed my bag on Wednesday night after the false alarm, so just had to grab a couple last minute things and was ready to go.

At 9am, I still hadn't heard from DH, and I was starting to panic. I looked to see if he had left his phone charging at home, but he hadn't. I couldn't figure out why it kept going to voicemail. I didn't have a backup plan. I had a 1-minute pity party and bawled then pulled it together and called one of our neighbors. They didn't answer. I called another neighbor.

"So, Mr. B, I was wondering if you might be available to take me to the hospital. My water broke and DH isn't here and I can't get ahold of him. I'm going to give him 15 minutes and then I think I need to leave."

"Fifteen minutes? Are you sure? Maybe we should go now?"

"My parents are coming to watch the girls, and they aren't here yet, but will be in a few. I think it's ok to wait."

"Are you sure? Mrs. B can watch them."

"That's ok. Fifteen minutes will be fine."

Five minutes later, Mrs. B was knocking on the door, and Mr. B was pulling into the driveway.

"We didn't want to wait 15 minutes," she said, smiling.

"Thanks," I smiled, back.

The girls were bouncing off the walls with excitement. They gave me big hugs and kisses goodbye.

I had grabbed a couple of towels to put down on the seat just in case my water broke in a big way. I walked out the front door and down the driveway when I saw our van making it's way down the block. I was so relieved. And annoyed. And panicked.

DH's phone had died. Why is it not permanently charged two weeks before we're due to have a baby?!?!?

"I'm never going to live this down, am I?"

Um, no.

He and Mr. B quickly unloaded the bags of seed and peat moss, and we backed out of our driveway at 9:15am. We got to the hospital at 9:30am.

Baby boy was born at 11:15am. Only 6lbs 13oz - WAY smaller than we expected! We still can't agree on a nickname. To appease DH, I'm calling him Cinco on the blog since I won't in real life. We are thrilled that our family is complete.
Real Time Analytics