Monday, September 16, 2013

False Alarm

My c-section is scheduled for Monday the 23rd - a week from today. So you'd think we'd have everything ready to go. But as of last Wednesday, that was not the case. Partially that's because I've felt no urgency since our girls were both late. It's also largely due to the fact that this pregnancy has taken a lot out of me, and I haven't had the energy to think about finishing up preparations, much less actually completing them.

Wednesday evening I was helping S with her homework at the desk in the kitchen. I stood up to go to the bathroom and felt a trickle. Uh oh.

Now when my water broke with S, the nurse had just checked to see if I was dilated and a huge gush happened. DH and I were in awe as we watched my stomach go from looking 9 months pregnant to 6 months over a 30 minute period. It was super cool. With Baby R, my water broke in bed in the middle of the night, and my sheets were very wet. Both times, there was no question that that was what had happened.

So when this trickle happened, I thought it could be amniotic fluid, but it might just as easily be urine, since this kid has been sitting on/pushing/poking my bladder incessantly for the last couple of months. Earlier that day at work, it had been exceptionally bad.

I went to the bathroom, emptied my bladder, and tried to ascertain what exactly had leaked, but couldn't. So I called DH who had gone back to the office to give him a heads up, and then called my OB. She told me to jump up and down and see if anything else came out. The image in your head is as hilarious as it was in real life - 9 month preggo lady holding her belly and jumping up and down with her phone pinned between her ear and shoulder. Nothing more happened, so she said to keep an eye on things and if any more came out in the next hour to call her back, but if it didn't, it was probably just urine. So I hung up with her, called DH to let him know it was probably fine, and finished putting the girls to bed.

And then went into panicked frenzy mode.

I brought 8-9 boxes of newborn supplies up from the basement - clothes, towels, blankets, toys, swaddlers, bottles, nursing pump - everything that would be needed immediately if I were to really go into labor. Then I stayed up til 3am sorting through it all, pulling out all the neutral items and washing them, and packing away the girl ones. If my water was on the verge of breaking earlier, this certainly would have finished it off.

Thankfully, nothing more happened. DH was bummed - he was so ready for little man to make his appearance. I wanted to wait to start my maternity leave, so wanted him to stay put another week and a half. Plus we still had a few other important things to take care of which DH handled Friday night - installing the car seat and putting the stroller together for example. Though if Cinco had been born that day, he would have been a Friday the 13th baby like Baby R and me. But it didn't happen.

Though it turned out to be a very good thing that we did have that scare and got the urgent matters addressed before the weekend.
Real Time Analytics