Monday, October 11, 2010

Flash Forward

Most of the time I look at my girls and think time is going by too quickly. Don't get me wrong - we have those days that seem like they will never end when every little thing is tantrum-worthy. But in general, I feel like they are getting so big, and though I'm excited about each new accomplishment, I'm not ready to relinquish them to the next stage when it comes. Yesterday was the first time I thought about them being older. Much older.

Yesterday was October 10, 2010 - 10/10/10. The last ten years we've all noted that there's been a date with all the same numbers for the month, date and year. Yesterday it occurred to me that there are only two years with dates like that left in my lifetime. And more to the point, in my girls' lifetimes. I was startled to make that realization. I mentioned it to S since she's old enough to understand a little bit. It's likely that in a couple of years she really will be able to remember 12/12/12 when it happens. But Baby R probably won't. Unless they live to be over 100 years old.

Once that thought entered my mind, it was as though I watched their lives unfold before me in a blink of an eye. I pictured them white-haired, wrinkled, sitting on rocking chairs. They had families and grandbabies and had lived long full lives. And I was happy for them in that instant.

In a snap I was back to the present and feeling somewhat wistful that I won't be able to witness that imagined life. Just another of many times I'm reminded to soak up each second I have with them since it will be over before I know it. So thankful to have these precious girls while I do!

No comments:

Real Time Analytics