Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Unemployment Isn't for the Faint of Heart

This isn't a lovey post for Valentine's, so I included heart in the title to make it a bit more palatable. I mentioned I'd had trouble with my unemployment being rejected at the beginning. It turned out that my SSN was wrong for some reason (which is crazy to me since I double checked it, but whatever). So a week and a half ago, I called the KS Dept of Labor and got it fixed. But she had to unfile my original claim and file a new one, so I was a week behind on getting my benefits.

Last week I got a letter confirming my benefit amount - yea! So Sunday I logged on to file for the week, and it gave me this error:


Seriously? So I had to wait til Monday morning to call. When I did I explained the situation. The woman said she didn't know why I was getting that error but that she would file it for me. She said I needed to file for the week before last as well. I told her I had already done that over the phone, and she said there was no record of it. I asked if that meant that the distribution would not be available for another week. She said it would hit my account tomorrow, but that they would be mailing out the debit card for it and I should receive it in another 7-10 days.

Are you freaking kidding me?

I told her I knew it wasn't her fault and she probably hears this stuff all the time but this is now three weeks I've gone without getting payment, and it's getting a little stressful.

January/February is when we have a lot of extra bills due: the girls' health insurance, our life insurance, etc. We were waiting to get my unemployment check to sign me up for new health insurance, but I also need brakes on the van. And I have bills to pay from the OB from everything that went on in January plus a stray urgent care bill from last April that just showed up (???).

I realize it shouldn't be a simple process, but when you do everything you're supposed to do and it doesn't work, how do people living on a single income survive? We will be able to borrow from the girls' savings to tide us over, and it will work out, but I feel for those who don't have that option.
Real Time Analytics