Saturday, January 28, 2012

Movie Review: Albert Nobbs

Image from the IMDb link below.


In case you haven't heard, there's a new site around that measures your influence. It's called Swaylo. They let me know that I have sway (you heard me!), and I got free passes to a screening of "Albert Nobbs" starring Glenn Close.

To be perfectly honest, I had never heard of this film. Granted the last movie I saw in the theater was "Cars 2" in July. (This is due to several factors including being a mom to 4- and 2-year-olds and being married to a man who worked at a theater as a teen and went for free all the time so he refuses to pay the $12 for a ticket.) I got to bring a friend with me, and when we got to the theater, they let me know that since I was with Swaylo, I had a seat in the roped off section of the best seats with my name on it. I felt pretty special. Particularly since, as I mentioned before, I hadn't seen a movie in six months.

I didn't watch the trailer or anything, so all I had to go by was the poster image shown above.

I'm quoting IMDb's synopsis because it's succinct, and I couldn't have said it better myself:

Glenn Close plays a woman passing as a man in order to work and survive in 19th century Ireland. Some thirty years after donning men's clothing, she finds herself trapped in a prison of her own making.

Glenn does an excellent job portraying her character; the details with which she executes her mannerisms to appear masculine are amazing. The makeup artists also did a fantastic job. The supporting actors were good, too. The plot was... meh. An interesting concept, and I liked the setting of Dublin in the 1800's, but it was a bit slow. The end had a nice touch with connecting things back together. I think Glenn's performance was well done, but I'm glad I got to see the film for free.
Real Time Analytics