Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Happy Mardi Gras!

A friend of mine who used to work here with me and moved to FL last year said they went to a Mardi Gras parade (which surprised me because I think of FL as being Spanish instead of French, but she's in Pensacola, so it kind of makes sense). She said it was a parade at night with the floats all lit up (I imagine like at Disneyland), and they threw beads and moonpies. I was like, moonpies? That's weird. And she said she thought so too, but they are like grits and really popular in the South. I said, Really? The only one I've had is like a chocolate covered marshmallow between graham crackers. I didn't know there were some that were like grits. She wrote back, no, they are big in the South like grits, not that they are like grits. DUH, I'm a dork....

I'm on a roll with dumb things because Friday, a girl I work with asked me how old I am, and I said "32, no wait, 33. No, wait, what year is it? Ok, 32." Then a few seconds later, I said, "Holy crap, no, I'm 34!" It was a little disturbing to age 2 years in 5 seconds.

Sunday I went to see "The Reader" with our neighbor. It was very different. I didn't know what it was about other than it was set in WWII. It was kind of Mrs. Robinson meets Schindler's List. Kind of depressing, but interesting. Told from a different perspective. I was excited Kate Winslet win the Oscar that night since that was the only nominated movie I'd seen. :) That evening, S and I went to see our friends at home with their new baby girl. S had fun - she loves to say "baby" and make the sign, and it's so cute that DH asks her to do it all the time. She also loves dogs and was intrigued that our friends' dog is named Pea when S knows that to be what her vegetables are called.

A new favorite of S's is stirring. She does a cute thing where she rolls her arms and tries to say stir. I let her help me stir things sometimes, so the other day DH said she poured her juice into her divided plate where the corn and peas were and used her string cheese stick to "stir" it all together. It went everywhere of course. Messy, but still adorable. As opposed to her tantrums which are getting a little out of control and not at all adorable. She hit me in the mouth with her head thrashing twice this weekend - the first time I got a fat lip and the second time she hit my tooth, and I thought for sure it must have cut the back of her head but it didn't. Unfortunately, she comes by it naturally as her Grandpa and I were discussing yesterday - poor kid.

The biggest news with her though is her interest in the potty. She got an Elmo Goes Potty book for Christmas, and she's wanted to wave bye-bye and flush for awhile now, but yesterday I changed her diaper and put her PJs on and a minute later, she started singing the no more pee-pee song we sing when we change her. I asked if she needed a new diaper already, thinking surely not, it's just a bedtime stalling tactic. But I checked, and sure enough, she had gone #2. So I changed her and she was pointing to the bathroom. I asked her if she wanted to sit on the potty and she said yes. Because we've cleared as much extra stuff out as possible, we'd taken her potty chair to Grandma and Grandpa's. I wasn't sure what she'd think of the big potty, but put her on it anyway. It was a little scary so I took her off pretty much right away and told her not to worry about it. Unfortunately I just don't want to deal with having her potty chair in the bathroom right now with the house being on the market. Maybe we can put in G'ma and G'pa's.

Speaking of the house, we had another showing this morning - our 15th in 3 weeks - but still no offers. I'm not too worried yet, but I wish people would leave us more feedback to know why we aren't getting the offers. Oh well. Que sera, sera.

Happy Mardi Gras!

No comments:

Real Time Analytics